CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Reunion Memories

I remember lots of things about the Carpenter reunions that we had growing up. One in particular was when Aunt Rayola arranged for us to go somewhere in Nevada by Elko in the mountains at a big cabin. There were some small cabins to sleep in. One event that Uncle Doug was in charge of was really fun. I saw him out in the field bending over and putting something on the ground. When he called us all together, he had some 4 generation charts starting with our grandparents and 4 generations of their descendants. He had taken the names of everyone of the descendants. The kids job was to collect the names in the field. My generation was to help the kids place the names in the right places on the chart on the wall. Some of the names were missing and we had to search the genealogy papers to see who was missing so we could make names to put on the wall. Grandpa Carpenter's name was missing. Uncle Doug had put his name in a gopher hole. I think that the gopher ate it. I remember that Uncle Doug even put a paper with the name of Ray's dog who was with us. It was lots of fun. I also remember playing volleyball with 3 generations of Carpenters in the field and enjoying watching my uncles play with thier grandkids. When it was time to leave, Richard and Kim weren't anywhere we could see. They had gone hiking up the mountain with cousins. Maybe someone else remembers who all was with them. I finally saw them shining something reflective at me from the top of the mountain. They hurried down the hill and we went home when they got done. I think that family times are the most fun memories.

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

I'm pretty sure Matthew was with them! I know I wasn't because I'd gone on a hike earlier with Brooke and Brad Carpenter. I don't remember who else was with Kim and Richard, but I do remember trying to find them when it was time to go!

Anonymous said...

I remember being the only girl on the hike, which made me feel "cool" - like one of the guys (don't laugh). I don't remember who the other guys were though.

Rochelle said...

I also remember the "Name Game" that Uncle Doug did! He made it more exciting by putting the names on pieces of candy! Maybe that's why the gopher ate it! I was actually telling Aunt Betty about that the other day! Great minds think alike!