CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Foolproof Whole Wheat Bread

HI
I just got a new toy yesterday, a wheat grinder, and I'm excited. I thought I'd test it out on bread and found this recipe and it had potatoes in it, so how could it go wrong. I made it and it turned out GREAT! I'm very excited and thought I'd share. If any of you want to come and visit and use my new toy, you're more than welcome. It's only 108 here today, but who's noticing.
-->
Fool Proof Wheat Bread Recipe #267699
makes 4 loaves
2 tablespoons dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
5 cups hot tap water
9 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups white flour
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup honey (or sugar)
2 Tablespoons salt
2/3 cup potato flakes or oatmeal
preheat oven to 350.
Sprinkle yeast into 1/2 cup warm water, let stand 10-15 minute (you can add 1 tsp sugar to help it work faster.

combine hot water and 7 cups whole-wheat flour in mixer. Mix on low speed until well blended.
Add salt, oil, and honey. Continue to mix until well blended.
Add 1 more cup wheat flour and potato flakes or oatmeal, blend thoroughly.
add yeast mixture.
add 3-4 cups white flour and knead on low speed for 6 minutes (add enough flour that the dough leaves the side of the bowl but is still a little sticky - the consistency of cookie dough.
oil hands and mold into 4 loaves on oiled counter.
Place in oiled pans (pam works too)and let rise just to the tip of the pans. (if it rises too much it will create an air bubble underneath the crust).
Bake for 35-40.
Remove from pans to cool.
brush tops with butter.

2 comments:

The Haroldsens said...

Only 108? You could probably cook that bread outside!

Janet said...

I'll have to try this recipe. It would be worth buying potato flakes for. I never buy them otherwise.