Morning,
I've enjoyed reading everyone's memories. I have millions, but will just write a few right now. I need to get back to work, but the computer keeps drawing my attention.
Being THE BABY of the family, I have a lot of different memories than everyone else. I remember a lot of farm work, wedding potatoes, killing the potato bugs, lining up the hay bales, rough side down (or up, can't remember) unloading the grain trucks, by pulling the boards, hand feeding cows, branding day, burning ditches, cutting potatoes, and the list could go on and on... weeding and picking a HUGE garden, etc. I'm sure I didn't always do all of this willingly, but it was a great heritage in learning to work. I wish my kids had more of these opportunities. The thing was mom was always right there, working with us. I'm sure she got tired of my complaining, but she never murmured, at all.
I remember being so excited to get rid of the ugly carpet, in our living room, and get that what we later called HORRIBLE gold, carpet, that stained so badly and NEW CURTAINS. And of course, I remember the building of the fire place! Dad's pride and joy. He spent hour and hours arranging the rocks so they would go together perfectly. Oh, and the rock garden. I remember our trips to Montana to get those rocks. I am not sure it's still there, but there was, at one time a rock that weight 948 pounds and Dad and Brother Ellis, mom and I, loaded it on the pick up. I'm not sure how we weighed it, but Dad figured out how. I'm sure it's still there!
I remember learning to sew, with mom's patient help. I never knew you could buy a dress in a store, as all ours were made at home. I was 28 before I bought my first dress from a store! (and I'm only 46 now). I've been grateful for those skills I learned.
Well, I don't want to take up an entire page, but it's fun to think about old times!
take care!
love
Aunt Betty (Mom, who ever!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment