CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 18, 2008

My UPS Job


I have two shifts at work with a lunch inbetween and I have a picture of what I do on each of those shifts. My first shift goes from 5-9:30 PM in which I work the Sort Aisle. I have someone who unloads packages from a trailer which are sent across a conveyor belt and down a slide to me where I take them and sort them by state and zip code to the conveyor belts behind me as shown in the first picture. I have to sort them at a rate of 1,000+ packages per hour which means only three seconds for each package. You really have to know the material to be able to keep up with this rate.
My second shift goes from 10:30-3:00 where I am still sorting packages, but this time it is just for the packages in the Salt Lake area. We have what we call the boxline where we sort the packages by zip code into the boxes. This time it is easier because we have little labels put on the box which tells us which color and what level to put the packages in. The boxline has 155 sets of boxes that are on wheels that slowly move by. We prepare the people in the sunrise shift with these packages where they load them into the fameous brown trucks that deliver them. Our volume should start increasing until the end of the year to be really heavy in December. Last year I averaged fifteen hours of overtime each week.
Well, that is a sumary of how things go at my work. Oh yeah, I received the Employee of the Month award last night at work.

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

1,000 packages per hour?! I'm not coordinated enough to be able to do something like that! That's cool!

Betty said...

Congratulations on Employee of the Month. Very cool. We take for granted the work that goes behind getting us our packages. Thanks!

Carma said...

Congratulations. We're proud of you for being Employee of the Month. We were proud of you anyway, but now we're extra proud. We wish you all the best.

Joyce said...

That was very interesting to learn about your work! thanks for sharing it with us. Congratulations on employee of the month! I always knew you were special!