Greetings from Paradise!
Lately I've been talking to a lot of Returned Missionaries in the ward that I'm serving in and I've noticed an unusual trend among the stories of there missions. Whenever they tell a story about an unusual experience involving an investigator they always end with the same few words. No, it's not their testimony, or even "In the name of Jesus Christ Amen". They always say "and they were baptized three weeks later".
I've thought a lot about those stories. They're always good and involve wonderful heights of spiritual manifestations, which is good. I'll be the first to admit, I haven't had an experience like that before. All of those that I've had the privilege of teaching have been long, tedious opportunities. Sometimes I feel like I could be doing more. I could work a little harder, be a little more Christ-like, and strengthen my testimony a little more. However, even with all of that things wouldn't change. I would still have trials, I would still be teaching the same 5 people for months. Nothing that I can do will open their hearts. It's a choice they need to make for themselves. I can however have the assurance that my work has been acceptable to the Lord. Nephi, the son of Helaman, had an experience in which, although he did not see success in conversions, he was assured that his work was accepted.
Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments. (Helaman 10:4)
I know at times all of us can feel inadequate when matched up against our responsibilities, desires, and what is "expected" of us. When we consider that even the Savior felt overwhelmed with the work that he had to accomplish we can see that being overwhelmed is a part of mortality (See Mark 14:32-36). However, as we rely on the arm of the Lord then "[our] burdens will be light through the joy of His son." (Alma 33:23)
I know that the Savior Jesus Christ lives. I know that The Book of Mormon is true scripture and that we can be closer to God by reading and following it's counsel than by any other means. I love you for the support that you give the missionaries all of the world and the joy that you bring into our lives. Thank you again for all of the support.
Much love
Elder Pearson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can't believe he'll be home this summer! He's amazing!
He's a keeper! I won't know what to do without having a missionary out... it's been nearly 6 straight years of missionaries!
Missonaries are awesome. I am very happy that he is doing so well.
Post a Comment